Friday, July 25, 2008

Sergey Anto-Awesome-nov

The Breakers mansion in Newport could beat up your house and a wolverine at the same time...blindfolded

FACT!!!

Nighttime is the right time for concerts

FACT!!!

Dudes with feathered-type hair wearing long tail coats and playing cello are pansies.

FICTION!!!

Last night I beat up some rich folks and stole their tickets to see cellist Sergey Antonov play a concert during the Newport Music Festival. It was the best atmosphere for a concert I've attended. The night rains let up and a cool breeze made the manion's open foyer feel cool. Antonov and the pianist (name = ??? but she had a guy flip her pages who was pretty bad ass...picture Benson + the trainer from Punchout) were situated on a spot-lit stage with the audience seated in a semi-circle around. A wall of glass doors facing the cliff walk were to the right of the audience with two of the doors left open which, during quiet pieces, allowed you hear the waves crashing along with the music.

I didn't recognize any of the pieces but Anto-awesome-nov was so damn good he could've been playing Air Supply's greatest hits and I still would have broken out the air cello (my windmills were unappreciated). Most of the songs had great dynamics and some moodiness, typically ending in a crazed, apeggiated creshendo and Antonov coming close to becoming the first classical music head-banger.

The Breakers was a gorgeous venue for a concert, I highly reccomend it if you ever have the chance.

I also reccomend (awkward pause) lifting weights...what?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to know why I was not invited. ack. the blasphemy.

The Uber Geek said...

sorry...only able to steal 2 tickets, the old guy was crafty.

plus it was 9PM on a thur...you live in NH!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great review! Is it possible to use it on my webpage?

(www.sergeyantonov.com)

Thanks,
Sergey Antonov