Thursday, July 31, 2008

Apple-y Things that Really Grind My Geeeeeahs

I'm beginning to think the Alan Turing rumors pertaining to Apple's logo are true. Rumor has it, the bite taken from the apple in the techno-bully's logo represents the fatal bite Alan Turing took from a poisoned apple (which he poisoned himself...drama queen!). Over the past week or so I've
been immersed in the Apple development world (iPhone, XServe, Cocoa, etc.) and it's really pissed me off...so now you're gonna hear about it.

All Grind Rates are rated out of 11...and fairly irrelevent.

iPhone Developer Program
Apple Developer Select Membership: $500/year
iPhone Developer Membership (pre-July): FREE!!!
iPhone Developer Membership minutes after installing "free" iPhone SDK update: $99!!!
Getting bamboozled out of $100: Stabby

Up until the latest release of the iPhone SDK any 'ol developer or evil doctor could build an application for their iPhone/iTouch (it's just a cooler name, why not embrace it?) and have it, you know, run on their device. Then one day Steve Jobs had a hankering for some bratwurst and sauerkraut...a LOT of bratwurst and sauerkraut. So, Apple released a "free" SDK update and...

POW! Catalina Wine Mixer!

Grinding Rating: 9 e's and a brat 'n kraut with the works

Apple's World of Mystery
Why the mystery? For the love of God, can you just for once have a set release date for things or a public plan? Only terrorists randomly announce things, is that what you are Apple? A terrorist?

I'm telling.

Grind Rating: 6 e's

Xserve
My name is the Uber Geek and I have been defeated by an XServe running Leopard Server

Hi, Uber Geek

I just wanted to change the hostname, that's all. I tried everything: changeip, scutil, screwing with the kerberos tables. Still, the Xserve mocked me by displaying it's old hostname. What do I have to do to make it work sweet, mysterious, condescending magic again?

Reinstall the server...duh!

Grind Rating: All the e's in the Leopard Server install DVD


Time Machine
What do you say, ya do here? Because all I've seen for the past week is a bunch of failed back up attempts. Anytime you try and backup the system you're just "preparing...", "preparing...", "preparing..."...and I don't see a damn sandwich yet! Let's contact Apple care and see how to fix this problem, shall we?

Delete the hardrive with the back ups and redo the backup history.

On a side note...I broke a string on my guitar, so I smashed the crap out of it and rebuilt it from scratch.

Grind Rating: 4 times the number of e's in the world "useless"

I Still Love You
I do. I still love you Apple. After all the hell you've put me through as a developer I still listen to my iPod everyday and wait patiently on the interwebs for any hint that you'll release a MacBook with multi-touch (September???).

Maybe I have battered woman's syndrome?

Grind Rating: 2 e's...for love and hate

No comments: