Friday, September 21, 2007

Ruler of Developer Land

Since moving into our new center I've taken claim to a fairly large (ok, extremely large) section of the office. It has been referred to as a country and I quite like being the sole ruler/citizen of Developer Land (catchy, no?). Developer Land is full of wonder, an old Apple IIe, music and, most importantly, 3 floor-to-ceiling windows to that mysterious "outdoors" thing. Being the sole ruler of a country isn't easy though, as there are certain tasks which must be attended. Like cleaning up the place when visitors come or plugging in the AC plant (that's right, my country has a plant that runs on AC power...eat it) or limiting the number of tourists during the day (they can be pesty). Overall, however, it's a grand life having your own country as no one ever complains when you dance on your desk because you got TCP/IP sockets to work correctly.

Times they are 'a changin' though. Today my first immigrant came begging to my borders, wishing to become a citizen in my glorious Developer Land. I've let him move in because I feel he can add to my countries exports (namely music, software, comedy, ranting and beer...well, that one's probably an import) and because my boss told me I had to. At first it's been rocky, my country now has a lot more "stuff" in it now. Mind you it is cool stuff (name me another country who's haptic device to citizen ratio is 2:1???) but the Apple IIe is getting a bit jealous of all these fancy Dell Inspirons laying about. Since my borders are now open I have decided to implement a tax system which Immigrant #001 has agreed to follow. Each month I must receive one random item from each citizen of Developer Land.

Tax Item 1: an empty desk drawer.

Yes, this is the life...indubitably.

2 comments:

MK said...

Who moved in?

The Uber Geek said...

everyone's favorite grad student drock